Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sometime Around Midnight

Sometimes, you hear a song that pierces your soul.

A couple weeks ago, I heard just such a song. After hearing it on the radio several times, I just had to find out who it was by. There's some websites where you can try to find a song just by typing in some lyrics (like lyrster), but I really had a hard time remembering how they went. The singer has kind of a rambling, mumbly voice... somewhat like my own. Maybe that's what drew me to it. Eventually, it came on at a time when I could really pay attention and write some down.

It's starts off with a dark, tormented strings line... that fades into a beautiful, hopeful guitar line. And then the singer somewhat "talks" the lyrics, and it gradually builds into a frustrated rant at the end. Another thing I like about it is that there is no repeated chorus, which defies standard songwriting.

The song is "Sometime Around Midnight", by The Airborne Toxic Event. Check it out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Otis-I checked it out and I dug it. -ook

Anonymous said...

Nice!



Sam's Dad. Bob T.

myrtle beached whale said...

An original and captivating song. I stumbled on your blog. I grew up in northern Idaho. Accounts are here:
http://myrtlebeachramblings.blogspot.com/2009/01/sunday-scribblings-phantoms-shadows.html

Mandy said...

This song was amazing. And the similarities begin to multiply.

Anonymous said...

phoaks sortina networking vertices ljdkjhxsj balcony urging sticking dependant myth budget
semelokertes marchimundui